Quick Links & Popular Tools


You will find information on how to add and drop courses as well as how to select a module via the FAQ's on this page.  If you are sick and miss an assignment, or essay, please see the Academic Accommodation topic heading on the left menu for details.

  • How do I add/drop a course?

  • Follow the link here for instructions on how to add/drop a course online.

    Note once classes begin you will need to come in to the office to add/drop a course.  

    Pay close attention to deadlines!  Students can only drop and add courses for a limited time as specified by the academic calendar.  Dropping a course after the deadline results in an ‘F’ on your transcript.  Refunds depend on the drop date.  The last day to receive a partial refund in the fall is Sept. 15th and in the winter is Feb. 15th.  

    Sept. 15 – last day to add a first term half course or full course.
    Nov. 12 – last day to drop a first term half course without academic penalty
    November 30 – last day to drop a full course without academic penalty

    Please find the link for further information on deadlines here.

    If you are receiving OSAP there may be financial ramifications for dropping a course.  There also may be financial ramifications for changing from part-time to full-time status.  If adding a course will bring you to full-time status (3.5 courses) make sure you discuss the cost with your advisor. 
  • What are the add/drop deadlines?

  • Pay close attention to academic calendar deadlines.  Dropping a course after the deadline results in an ‘F’ on your transcript.  Refunds depend on the drop date.  The last day to receive a partial refund in the fall is Sept. 15th and in the winter is Feb. 15th.  

    Sept. 15 – last day to add a first term half course or full course.
    Nov. 5 – last day to drop a first term half course without academic penalty
    November 30 – last day to drop a full course without academic penalty

  • What course should I take?

  • If you are an upper year student, check your module requirements and our degree checklists.  Huron students must take 60% of their courses at Huron.  You can find course descriptions, including prerequisite information on the academic calendar

    Note that prerequisite courses are courses you need to take prior to enrolling in the course in question.

    Remember you eventually need to complete both your degree requirements and module requirements to graduate.  These are both listed on the degree checklists found on the left menu bar or speak with an advisor for more details.

    For more information on Fall 2015 course enrolment appointment times and overall course registration visit the Course Registration page.

  • What do course suffixes mean?

  • Common suffixes for Huron courses are:
    •    A (0.5 first term, non essay course
    •    B (0.5 second term non essay course)
    •    E (1.0 essay course)
    •    F (0.5 first term essay course)
    •    G (0.5 second term essay course

     Detailed explanations can be found  on the Academic Calendar.  

  • How do I register in a main campus course?

  • If you have met your residency requirement (60% of your courses are at Huron) and if the course you are hoping to take is not also offered at Huron, you can register to take the course on main campus.  You will need to call the Helpline at 519-661-2100 to register in the course.  

    If you need special permission from main campus to take the course speak with the faculty academic counsellors.  Once permission is provided, email it to a Huron academic advisor so he/she can add the special permission to your record.  The Helpline can then enroll you into the course once the special permission has been documented.

  • Help! I'm not doing well in my course...

  • Speak with your professor.  Try to figure out what you do not understand in their class and visit during their office hours (Office hours are found in the syllabus you received in the first week of class or on Owl).  Come prepared with questions.

    Alternatively, Learning Skills Services on main campus offers drop in hours, appointments and presentations on study skills and different subject matter to Huron students as well as main campus students.  Attend four presentations during the fall/winter term and receive a certificate of Academic Engagement.

    Huron has its own Writing Centre.  If you struggle with writing, visit the Writing Centre on the top floor of the library for help.

    If you are still having difficulty with the course, speak with an Academic advisor.  

  • How do I pick my Major/ Specialization?

  • Students are expected to select a module of future study by the end of their first year of full-time studies at Huron; typically in February.  Modules include: Minor, Major, Specialization, Honours Specialization. There are three possible degree options at Huron: an Honours Degree, a 4 Year General Degree and a 3 Year Degree. (Find all the combinations.)

    If you are not sure what modules are or don’t know the differences in the three degrees, watch our short PowerPoint.

    Remember, to stay at Huron you need to study in one of the modules we offer.  You will find our programs listed under the Academics page of this website.  

    For more ideas and support on selecting a module, visit How Picking a Major is Like Picking a Life Partner.  It suggests asking yourself questions such as, “Who you want to be”.  If you have questions on module and degree selection, make an appointment to speak with an academic advisor.

  • What is Intent to Register?

  • Beginning typically in February the university asks you to select your program and tell us if you are returning next fall.  Intending to Register is critical as it assigns you an appointment time to select courses for next Fall/ Winter.  Attend one of our workshop sessions to ask questions and learn more about this process. Workshop session dates will be posted under events on the main page.
  • How many courses can I take online?

  • Students can take a maximum 2.0 courses in the Fall/Winter year by distance studies. Students can take 2.5 in the spring/summer.  Note Huron does not recommend students take more than 1.0 distance studies courses in the summer.
  • What is a letter of permission?

  • A Letter of Permission is an agreement between Huron and another university. This agreement confirms that the student who has applied for the Letter of Permission is in good standing at Huron University College and that Huron agrees to have the credit taken at the host institution transferred back to the student's degree at The University of Western Ontario.

    Students need a 65% cumulative average to take a course on a letter of permission.  Students are limited in the number of courses they are permitted to take on a letter of permission; 5.0 courses is the maximum permitted at another institution over the course of a student’s time here.

  • What is the process for taking a course on a letter of permission?

  • Students must submit course descriptions/ syllabi for the courses they would like to take.  Academic Advising, the Deans’ Office and the relevant department will evaluate the course to determine if the university will accept it and if so, how it will transfer.  The student and an Academic Advisor will complete the Letter of Permission.  The student will then enrol in the course at the other institution as a visiting student.  The student pays tuition fees to the host university. Upon completion of the course the transcript must be submitted to obtain the transfer credit.  Note there is a fee assigned for a Letter of Permission.
  • Can I take a summer course?

  • Yes.  Students pay on a course by course basis.  2.5 is the maximum number of courses permitted.  Residency requirement does not apply. 

  • On the timetable it says the course is restricted/ priority. What does that mean?

  • The notes section of the Western timetable will inform you who is eligible to enrol in courses.  If the notes read, "Priority to 3rd year BMOS students.  Open July 24th to Yrs BMOS."  This means until July 24th only BMOS students in third year can enrol in the course.  Priorities lift July 24th.

    If the notes say a course is restricted, e.g. "Restricted to affiliate colleges".  This means only students from an affiliate can enrol in the course until the restrictions are removed.  Restrictions are removed August 21st.

    Remember space may not be available in these courses when the priority or restrictions are lifted so have a back up plan.
  • I'm a transfer student. Why can't I enrol in this course?

  • Peoplesoft, the course registration software we use cannot read transfer credits.  Therefore if the prerequisite for a course is a transfer credit Student Centre will not permit you to enrol yourself.  You will need to contact academic advising to help facilitate your course registration.
  • How can I tell if I got into my program?

  • Students select their intended program/ module in February.  Once grades are in - usually in late May the university determines if students have met the admission requirements for the module they selected.  Students can see these adjudication results on Student Centre.

    Log in to Student Center, under My Academic, choose View My Grades. Select the tab marked Grade Report. Ensure you are looking at the correct term, select it and read the Remarks at the bottom of the grade report box.
  • Why didn't I get into my program?

  • Check the admission requirements for the module you are interested in (Modules are found under the Academics section of the website or under Degree Checklists on the lefthand menu).  Did you take the required course?  Did you obtain the average required?  60% for a major; 70% -75% for some Honours specializations.  If you are still confused, contact advising.
  • I'd like BMOS as my program. What do I need to know?

  • If you are a first year student and already in BMOS, visit our progression and admissions  page for details.  Note at minimum you need to pass your required BMOS courses and maintain an overall average of 65% (more is required for an Honours Specialization or Honours Double Major please see the above link for specifics).  Upper year BMOS students must also maintain this progression requirement.

    First year BMOS students may find it important to note they must successfully complete 5.0 credits to take BUS 2257 in second year.  BUS 2257 is a prerequisite for third year MOS courses.  If students don’t take it during the year, it is offered in the summer but fills up quickly.

    We do not recommend students "shadow" the BMOS program.  Students who have not gained entry to the program by the end of second year are best served by finding an alternate degree route.  Some students prefer to keep their focus on  business-oriented programs such as Economics or Finance.  Note the admission requirement for Finance and Economics is 60% in the required admission courses also note which courses particularly which math courses are required for admission.